The Aziz Foundation is pleased to announce it is offering three PhD Scholarships for the 2017-18 academic year.
The Foundation has three scholarships available for exceptional students active in British Muslim communities and interested in how their needs may be met through research and academic work.
Priority for these scholarships will be given to research which helps foster an understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing British Muslims through either:
• the application of the Maqasid Al-Shariah to a point of Islamic theology, ethics or law as to be understood by British Muslims.
• a deeper understanding of a philosophical, political, legal, economic, educational, social or cultural problem facing British Muslims, particularly where this may be addressed through public policy, or
• the quantitative analysis of large data sets that help develop more nuanced narratives on British Muslims.
The Foundation is keen, however, to support students who would like to pursue a career in research and academia not just to benefit Muslims, but all communities, in pursuit of their specific and common goals that will help create a more cohesive Britain.
Applicants should meet all the following requirements:
- Have or expect to have an offer for PhD study from a Russell Group university
- Provide a high-quality proposal demonstrating originality, importance and feasibility
- Be active within their local and/or faith communities and demonstrate a desire to develop intellectual skills within a multi-faith/secular environment
- Be able to demonstrate long-term commitment to community/societal development and good relations work
- Be eligible for Home/EU fee status at their university
Subject to satisfactory progress, the scholarships will be awarded for a maximum of three years. Only applications to Year 1 of full-time PhD programmes of study will be considered. The successful candidates will be expected to contribute towards the Aziz Foundation Leadership Development Programme.
Click here for more information on the PhD scholarships and the application process.